Purdue University has established four circumstances in which an international student can request a waiver to the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) by providing alternative health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your health plan must meet the requirements and be submitted with proof of documentation prior to the September 10, 2018 deadline, by 5PM ET.
Students must meet one of the four following criteria:
1. Be 100% funded by your home government including tuition, housing and fees, and health insurance that meets Purdue’s waiver requirements below. Governments providing funds for students to purchase another plan in place of Purdue’s do not qualify.
2. Be 100% funded by a world organization including tuition, housing and fees, and health insurance that meets Purdue’s waiver requirements below. Sponsor’s providing funds for students to purchase any other plan in place of Purdue’s do not qualify.
3. Be a J1 exchange student on an approved exchange program.
4. Be covered as an employee or dependent of an employee of a US-based company with a US-based health insurance plan that meets Purdue’s waiver requirements below.
1. Policy effective date: 08/20/18
2. Medical benefits minimum of $100,000 USD per accident or illness
3. Medical evacuation of at least $50,000
4. Repatriation of at least $25,000
5. Socialized/standard medical policies are not accepted unless participating in an approved exchange
program. Example: Canadian, French, German, and Australian policies are not accepted.
Additional Requirements for J-1 Visa student plans:
· Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per year.
Additional Requirements for F-1 Visa student plans:
· Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $3,400 per year.
Acquire the following scanned documents before clicking below to submit your waiver information:
1. An electronic copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card.
2. An electronic copy of your complete insurance policy document, including exclusions and limitations and dependent coverage.
3. Page 1 of your I-20 or DS2019.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR WAIVER REQUEST ONLY IF YOU MEET THE ABOVE CRITERIA AND HAVE YOUR SCANNED DOCUMENTS READY