Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need help?

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Click a question below to expand its answer

AHP Account

How do I create an AHP account?

Click Here for additional information

How do I update my contact information?

Click Here to go to the Home (Enroll) page, then click "I need to update my contact information"


How do I enroll or apply for a waiver?

Click Here to go to the Home(Enroll) page, then click "I want to enroll or apply for a waiver".

Enrollment and waiver links will only be available during the annual open enrollment period beginning in July and during the spring enrollment period beginning in December.  Deadlines are announced closer to those periods.

What happens if I miss the enrollment deadline?

Domestic Students

You will not be able to enroll in the domestic student health insurance plan until the next enrollment period without a qualifying event (i.e., involuntary loss of coverage on another plan).  Enrollment for domestic students takes place in December for spring coverage and in July for fall coverage (with the ability to purchase coverage for the entire academic year).

International Students

Purdue University requires all international students, regardless of visa status or insurance policy type to participate in a University-sponsored medical insurance plan or to obtain an approved waiver of coverage. Failure to enroll or obtain an approved waiver may negatively impact your legal status per federal immigration regulations.

If you do not enroll or receive an approved waiver by the enrollment deadline, a hold will be placed on your academic record, which affects your ability to register for classes, obtain transcripts or graduate.  You will also be assessed a $200 late-enrollment fee. If you have missed the enrollment deadline, you must contact the Student Insurance Office in PUSH at  (765) 496-3998 to pay the late fee and enroll to remove the hold.

How do I pay for my insurance?

When enrolling through the Academic HealthPlans (AHP) portal, you will have the option of purchasing a semester or the entire academic year of coverage.  Payment can be made by bank draft for no additional fee.  AHP also accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express for a 3 percent additional fee. 

If you have an account with PFCU, Click Here for instructions on obtaining your account number for bank draft payment.

What happens to my coverage when I graduate?

Your medical, prescription, vision, and dental benefits will end at midnight on the last day of the month in which you were covered.  You may be able to continue your coverage for up to three months.  Click Here to go to the Home (Enroll) page, then click “I need to change/continue coverage” for more information on continuation.

When am I covered? When do I get cards?

Review Timeline and Resources which details what to expect following enrollment.

How do I change my benefits after the enrollment period ends?

You can only change your benefits outside of open enrollment with a qualifying event (e.g., gain or loss of coverage under another plan, birth of a child, marriage, divorce).

Click Here to see if you have a qualifying event.

Click Here to enroll or change your benefits if you have a qualifying event.


How do I find an in-network doctor/provider?

Click Here to go to the Home(Enroll) page, then click" I need to find a provider".

When I get a service or prescription, how much do I have to pay?

Click Here to go to the Home(Enroll) page, then click "I want to learn how insurance works".

To review your benefits information (e.g., deductible, coinsurance, copays), visit the Benefits & Cost page.

 To find pricing on services, Log in to for medical and prescription and click Find Care, or Click Here for dental.

International Students

How do I apply for a Social Security Number?

Contact your business office or payroll center to request a Social Security Request DocuSign form for F-1/J-1 Students. The office will complete the form and route it to the Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) for a signature. You will then be provided with additional pick-up instructions and information about Social Security Administration Office contact for scheduling an appointment directly with them.  For more information, visit the ISS Resources and Requests page.

My waiver was denied. What do I do now?

Click Here for instructions on appealing a denied waiver.

I have a hold on my academic record for missing the enrollment deadline. How do I remove the hold?

You must contact the Student Insurance Office in PUSH at  (765) 496-3998 to pay the $200 late fee and enroll to remove the hold.